Job Opening for 2020-21
Middle School Teacher in Wheeling, Illinois
Alexander Graham Bell Montessori School, Wheeling, IL, seeks Middle School Teacher.
Applicants must have certification from MACTE accredited institutions or another acceptable Montessori organization such as AMI or AMS; in addition, this includes our affiliating organization, IMC.
Alexander Graham Bell Montessori School is located in Wheeling, IL. AGBMS was founded in 1986 by a group of dedicated parents and educators whose goal was to build a school where children could experience the very best Montessori education. This specialized school offers an individualized learning experience and an enriched curriculum including fine arts. We specialize in working with children who are deaf or hard of hearing and children with speech and language delays. These students work alongside their hearing peers and use cued speech to enhance their language and comprehension skills.
Teachers are certified by the Illinois State Board of Education and the American Montessori Society. The school serves as an official practicum and observation site for Northwestern University, Northern Illinois University, National Louis University, and Illinois State University. It is also affiliated with and designated as a model by the American Montessori Society. AGBMS is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education. For more information please visit our website: www.agbms.org
We are searching for a reliable, trustworthy, and innovative Middle School Montessori Teacher to join our accredited and Illinois State registered school. The Montessori Teacher’s responsibilities include creating lesson plans and curricula focused on developing social, physical, intellectual, and emotional skills, assessing children’s individual needs, and communicating with parents as required. You should be able to create a nurturing, stimulating classroom where every child feels included.
To be successful as a Montessori Teacher, you should be a lifelong learner who inspires a love for learning in your students. Outstanding candidates are able to accept failure, learn from their mistakes, and embrace creativity and independence.
Montessori Teacher Responsibilities:
- Observing, guiding, supervising, and assessing children while they learn in the classroom environment.
- Developing lesson plans, independent learning exercises, curricula, and methods that cater to the needs of the individual child.
- Creating and maintaining a safe, clean, stimulating classroom where all children feel safe and valued.
- Establishing rapport and building relationships with students based on trust.
- Setting an excellent example for students and instilling good values in them like honesty, accountability, understanding, tolerance, respect, love, and kindness.
- Monitoring and assessing student progress and writing up reports.
- Ensuring classroom supplies and equipment are available and in working condition.
- Updating records on the school database and handling various other administrative tasks.
- Participating in school activities and accompanying students on field trips.
Montessori Teacher Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education – Elementary/Middle School
- Special Education Endorsement a plus
- Completed training at an accredited Montessori school such as AMS, AMI, IMC, etc.
- Additional courses or training in Education would be advantageous.
- Passionate about alternative education
- An ability to teach groups of children of varying ages, needs, and abilities
- Patience and excellent observational, communication, and diagnostic skills
- The ability to multitask, keep calm under pressure, and treat everyone with love and respect
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- A lifelong learner who can be a good role model for children
- Facilitate lessons in a manner that will be effective despite a student’s special needs
- Provide support for students both academically and personally where necessary
- Respect students and treat them with dignity in the learning environment
- Prepare lessons in advance with the needs of learners in mind
- Design activities to achieve the learning goals of the students
Montessori Middle School Teacher Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- Illinois Licensed for K-12
- A minimum of both upper and lower elementary Montessori credentials
- Middle School Montessori credential a plus (accepting intern candidates)
- Previous experience working with students with special needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of teaching practices for students with special needs
- Specialization or endorsement in Special Education would be advantageous
Alexander Graham Bell Montessori School
9300 Capitol Drive
Wheeling, IL 60090
Contact: Julissa Zenteno, Associate Director
please send resume or vita to apply at: