Job Opening for 2020-21
Middle School STEM Guide in New York, New York
Our ideal candidate is a highly capable, experienced educator of middle school students, a curious and engaging community-builder and a thoughtful, kind human being. We know that’s asking a lot! We’re looking for an innovative, intellectual mentor for our students who loves teaching and learning STEM. We are best suited for educators who care deeply about adolescent development and are inspired to be a part of building a better holistic educational experience for adolescents.
We are looking specifically for a single Math and Science Teacher to teach all levels of math and science for our mixed age environment. This is a full-time teaching position for someone that is
- Strongly interested in co-creating a vibrant, loving school community
- An experienced (or deeply committed to learning) mentor, advisor, or coach of teenagers to help them explore their passions, learn to manage difficulties and embrace their gifts
- An expert in study and application of a diverse array of Math and Science
- Excited about classroom Socratic inquiry (see our Founder’s book, The Habit of Thought, for the specific pedagogy)
- Passionate about developing student critical thinking skills and mindsets and making connections to the real world
- Deeply motivated to foster autonomy and individuality of students and willing to personalize instruction and assessment significantly based on student needs
- A mentor as much as a teacher
- Has significant experience and deep commitment to working with adolescents
- An excellent communicator
- Strengths-based focused
- Committed to the idea of endless improvement personally and professionally
Ideally, you will also have a variety of interests, passions, and/or accomplishments that you’ll bring to our school to share with our students. Examples may include art, entrepreneurship, makerspace, robotics, coding, design thinking, improv, creative professional skills, martial arts, yoga, mindfulness, quantified self, foreign languages, etc.
You may or may not come from a traditional education/teaching background – you may have taught in alternative or innovative schools or programs – we are open to a range of backgrounds and experiences that align to our community and student aspirations. If you do come from a traditional education background, you’re seeking to build something different, to take your teaching practice in innovative directions and to develop deep personal relationships with students and peers. If you have experience with AP coursework, SAT content and prep, and are knowledgeable and practiced in the Socratic method, let us know in your cover letter.
We strongly encourage and welcome people from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity and join our unique community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Apply today online at https://thoughtandindustry.