Job Opening for 2021-22
Middle School Certified Social Studies Teacher in Columbia, South Carolina
- G. Sanders Middle School Montessori Middle Level
Richland County School District One
Columbia, South Carolina
School Year 2021 – 2022
Apply online at www.richlandone.org
- G. Sanders Montessori Middle Level Program, a public school adolescent program located in Columbia, South Carolina, serving approximately 125 students in grades 6th– 8th. This is a full-time position for the 2021 – 2022 school year for a Middle School Certified Social Studies Teacher. Montessori certification is preferred but will be provided for those not yet certified.
The Middle School Studies Teacher’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing an innovative, engaging, project-based Middle School Humanities/Social Studies program for 6th 7th and 8th grade students, potentially featuring a deep dive and in-depth exploration into geography and exploration and history;
- Partnering closely with the Middle School ELA, Mathematics, and Science faculty to design and implement specific Humanities curriculum goals in an integrated, multi-disciplined, project-based middle school academic program;
- Expanding the Middle School Social Studies curriculum to include forward-thinking initiatives such as supporting the Middle School students’ entrepreneurial endeavors, student-led special projects, research and investigations, and community outreach/community services;
- Actively engaging with teachers and students to connect Social Studies across the disciplines horizontally and the grades vertically and to the lives of the 21st century Middle School students.
A successful candidate must possess:
- A bachelor’s degree (required); master’s degree (preferred);
- Certification in Social Studies (required); Montessori Certification (preferred)
- Experience as a Social Studies teacher is ideal, but will consider a dynamic new teacher;
- Confidence to take on the development of an innovative, project-based, place-based Social Studies program;
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs;
- Experience and/or an interest in working with young adolescents;
- Effective communication skills, both written and spoken;
- Willingness to engage in frequent dialogue and to be self-reflective with regard to teaching practices;
- Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities and differentiate for those students with special needs and English Learners;
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills;
- Critical thinker and problem-solver;
- Collaborative team player;
- Strong work ethic;
- Flexibility, warmth, and a sense of humor!
Applicants should have a high joy-factor and positive energy and enthusiasm; superb leadership; emotional maturity; excellent organizational and communication skills; a love of learning and a love of playing; and a drive for excellence with a commitment to each child. Applicants should demonstrate a friendly disposition and possess a strong capacity for kindness, compassion, and thoughtfulness. We are seeking a colleague committed to building strong collegial and parent relationships, and one who is committed to self-development. Appreciation for student diversity including learning, experiential, cultural & economic diversity is important as well as an open mind and open heart.
Hill View Montessori Charter Public School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.