Job Opening for 2022-2023
Elementary I and II Teacher in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, US
Treehouse Montessori Christian School, Ocean Springs, MS, seeks Elementary I and II teacher.
ELEMENTARY I and II TEACHER
Supervisor: Head of School
Location: In-person instruction at Treehouse Montessori Christian School in Ocean Springs, MS
Treehouse Montessori Christian School seeks an Elementary Teacher for the 2022/2023 school year. Under the general direction of the Head of School, the ideal candidate will co-lead an Elementary classroom and will oversee students 6-12 years of age. The ideal candidate possesses Montessori Elementary certification (MACTE-accredited) or is willing to be trained in the Elementary Montessori pedagogy, has experience working in an Elementary Montessori environment, and will thrive in a dynamic team-teaching setting in a Christian environment. We are looking for candidates who share a sincere commitment to building a quality Montessori environment, offering support and guidance to parents, and collaborating with colleagues for an interdisciplinary and inquiry-based program. The right candidate should possess maturity, dedication, high integrity, good judgment, ability to self-reflect as a member of the teaching staff, and the courage to grow as a teacher leader. We seek individuals with a clear understanding of Montessori ideals, respect for children, and a deep knowledge of their development, classroom management and communication skills that nurture self-discipline, order, and confidence in young students.
We are accredited by the American Montessori Society and serve students from 6 – 18 years of age. We also have an associated Montessori primary program on our campus. We are located on the beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast in one of the most charming towns in Mississippi.
Essential Functions & Accountabilities:
* Understand and promote the Treehouse Montessori Christian School vision, mission, and goals to students, parents, and community
* Develop and administer an authentic Montessori Elementary curriculum and assessments consistent with the Montessori Method
* Work with a Co-Guide to present Montessori lessons, plan ‘going out’ expeditions for students
* Attend off-site overnight (camping) field trips 1 – 2 times a year
* Conduct ongoing observations and assessments of student learning, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student needs, including for students with special needs and/or English Language Learners
* Lead individual and small group instruction as needed
* Work with the community of students, teachers, parents and administrators, in articulating and maintaining the integrity and scope of the Montessori Method
* Develop and prepare the Montessori classroom environment, materials, and lessons to meet the students’ needs and interests.
* Present consistent individual and group lessons to the students and supporting each child’s socio-emotional and academic progress and learning success
* Record observations of student work on a daily basis to check for student understanding, progress and achievement.
* Manage and document student attendance on a daily basis.
* Participate in ongoing professional development, recommended conferences, training programs, Treehouse Montessori in-service and/or PD workshops, courses, and other areas of professional growth.
* Participate in Treehouse Montessori Back to School, Open House, and other special/extracurricular activities and programs as requested.
* Instruct students in the principles of Grace and Courtesy
* Attend all school staff meetings, and other meetings as required
* Check/examine shared areas such as bathroom, playground, for health and safety hazards
Required Competencies & Qualifications:
* Maintain confidentiality
* Adhere to AMS guidelines and professional standards
* A passion for growing independent, confident and intellectually curious children;
* Ability to provide services to all children and families with respect and dignity
* Ability to understand and willingness to work with a range of learning styles is required
* Excellent listening and communications skills
* Strong written and verbal communications skills
* A love of children and a sense of humor
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
* AMS, AMI, or IMC certification/Diploma in Elementary Education from a MACTE recognized or affiliate Teacher Education Program preferred or a willingness to work towards certification
* Prior experience in a Montessori classroom environment preferred
* Prior experience working in a diverse student and adult community
* Spanish or French language fluency a plus
* Multiple credentials (e.g., Special Education, Reading, ESOL, Music, Art, etc.) or life experiences a plus
* Must be eligible to work in the United States
* A love of children and a sense of humor
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org