Job Opening for 2022-2023
Middle School Guide / Teacher - Humanities in Campbell, California, US
The dynamic Middle School Teacher / Guide creates an environment that is conducive to the growth and development of a small group of adolescents (grades 7-8) in the realization of their fullest potential. She or he is responsible for some the administrative aspects of the program, for the generation and improvement of the middle school curricula in humanities (writing, research, history & culture), including the day-to-day teaching and functioning of their class.
The Middle School Teacher / Guide must enjoy working with adolescents, have a deep understanding and respect for the child at this stage of development, and have the ability to challenge the active minds and bodies of the adolescent. The teacher provides a learning environment in the Montessori philosophy and an integrated, interdisciplinary curriculum, developed in collaboration with teaching team members. Montessori training is desired but, can be provided. They must be well grounded in a broad range of academic areas, have a well spring of energy, a good sense of humor, and be able to communicate effectively and set clear boundaries.
Position can start spring of 2023 or August 2023
● Establish and maintain an enriching and challenging environment based on Montessori principles in which students work collaboratively with each other, the staff and the wider community.
● Provide a flexible, responsive environment that provides real life experiences and work practices to bring the curriculum to life.
● Engage and teach written and oral communication, creative problem-solving, teamwork, decision-making, self-management, and critical analysis.
● Create engaging curriculum in while imparting lessons to individuals and groups.
● Modify teaching plans according to the varying needs of students.
● Assist students in the study and understanding of; human culture and society including language arts, literature and history.
● Demonstrate responsibility for student safety and well-being at all times.
● Provide an environment that fosters respect and values differences.
● Teach in a Socratic, inquiry based style.
● Keep detailed and accurate records of each student’s academic progress.
● Maintain professional and positive communication with parents.
● Research and develop relationships with community resources to enhance place-based instruction.
● Plan and supervise field trips, including overnight trips.
● Work collaboratively with other teachers and administrators in development of curriculum, program planning and scheduling.
● Facilitate student preparedness for high school entry examinations.
● Create newsletters to showcase and promote middle school program to the school community.
● Attend staff meetings, school events and in-service programs.
● Develop and implement parent information sessions specific to the adolescent program.
● Other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
• Montessori certification / credential for adolescents highly desired
• Understanding of Montessori methods and pedagogy
• Bachelor’s degree in related subject
• California Teaching credential or equivalent
• Three years’ experience working with adolescents
• Excellent verbal and written skills with students, colleagues and parents
• Demonstrated organizational skills
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Frequently bend, stoop, kneel and crouch in order to assist children; routinely sit on the floor with children. Walk and stand routinely.
• Occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
• Work in a demanding environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
• Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold.
• Sensory Requirements: this job requires visual and auditory perception and the ability to communicate orally.
• Be comfortable taking active field trips with students.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Casa di Mir Montessori School is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio-economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation, and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff; and, to provide an environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQQI).
ABOUT CASA DI MIR MONTESSORI SCHOOL
Since 1989, Casa di Mir has provided rich experiences that support the development of essential life skills and empower students to be engaged citizens. We encourage independence, support collaboration, nurture leadership, and provide tools for social/emotional competence. Casa is the only primary through 8th grade Montessori in the south bay.
Medical, dental and vision insurance for employees, Life insurance, 403(b) Retirement match, Paid vacation & sick time off, Paid holidays, spring break & last week of December, Tuition discount & assistance for staff dependents.
Interested candidates should email resume and cover letter to: Anna Chan, Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.orgCasaDiMir.org