Job Opening for 2020
Lead Primary Teacher in Camden, New Jersey
Sacred Heart School Montessori Program, Camden, NJ, seeks Lead Primary Teacher.
Montessori Lead Primary Teacher
Are you passionate about providing high-fidelity, culturally relevant Montessori education to children from diverse backgrounds?
Sacred Heart School seeks an enthusiastic Montessori educator to lead a newly established primary classroom in Camden, NJ. We have a small, relatively new Montessori program that we seek to strengthen and grow within a larger non-Montessori school / school system. In this context, we are looking for an individual who is committed to cultivating an authentic Montessori environment, skilled at communicating and collaborating with non-Montessori colleagues, and innovative in maintaining fidelity to Montessori principles while adapting to the needs of individual students and our educational setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field
- Montessori Primary certification from a MACTE-accredited program (AMS, AMI, etc.)
- NJ State teaching certificate or willingness to work towards acquiring teaching certificate
- Montessori classroom teaching experience
- Enthusiasm and commitment to Montessori education that enables each child to develop to their full potential
- Innovative, energetic and nurturing personality
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with families from diverse backgrounds
- Flexibility to work and plan collaboratively with colleagues
This is a 10 month position, typical teacher hours are 7:30-3 with occasional evening events
- Create a warm, engaging classroom environment
- Plan and implement individual and small group lessons, based on Montessori scope & sequence and observations of student needs & interests
- Build strong, collaborative relationships with parents
- Maintain consistent record-keeping of lessons and student progress
- Provide guidance and supervision for classroom assistant teacher
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and school leaders
- Participate in other school functions as requested by the Principal
About our program:
We are a private Catholic school providing sliding scale tuition to make high quality education accessible to families in our low-income, predominantly non-Catholic community. Many of our families receive a state childcare subsidy for preschool and afterschool that makes our school free for them.
While Sacred Heart School was founded in 1920, we started our first Montessori primary classroom in 2015. Our school includes pk-8th grade (1st-8th are not Montessori classrooms) with about 200 students total. Our school is a family, with frequent interactions between grade levels and a strong, supportive staff culture. Although many of our families have little familiarity with the Montessori approach, they have become enthusiastic about their children’s experiences with us and by word of mouth, demand for our Montessori program has steadily grown – we have a waitlist every year.
We are located in Camden, NJ, a small city across the river from Philadelphia, PA.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (2 professional, 1 can be personal) to cHeatwoleShenk@cspschools.org.